Critical Reflection

 

  1. Module Learning

Refining my critical thinking and communication skills over the past 13 weeks has allowed me to realise that improvements are still needed. During my first few lessons in my critical thinking class, I was introduced to the Paul Elder framework which widened my perspective on how critical thinking is not as complex as it seems. Over time, when I started using the Paul Elder Framework and the 7 C’s in communication, I found it simpler to analyse a problem. 

Prior to this module, I had an idea that this was just going to be another English class. I did not think I would benefit much as I thought my English was pretty strong. Progressively when I started writing and communicating in class, I encountered personal challenges. It took me some time to adjust but after putting a couple of goals for myself, it was a smoother journey for me during this module. Firstly, the goal that I had set for myself at the start was learning to structure my sentence and essay correctly. I feel that I get too immersed in my writing at times that I tend to stray away from the topic. By referring to the rubrics and marking scheme, my writing was not messy and made more sense to understand. 

The second goal that I had for myself was relearning my presentation skills. I was always sure that I could speak to the public without having to prepare myself. I may be fluent in speaking and has the confidence for it, however, there was still a gap in perfecting the delivery of my presentation. This module gave me many opportunities to speak to the class and share my opinions. Though that was not hard, I have come to realise that I get nervous at times and will often speak with a blank mind. I would not be clear or precise with the information that I want to deliver making it hard for the audience to understand me. After getting insights from Professor Brad, I have learned that writing a script for my presentation skills was pointless. It was better to list the points I want to speak about so that my presentation skills would come off naturally and my mind would not be too structured to remember to say certain things. By the end of the module, I was confident to not write any script for my oral presentation, making me less nervous to present.

  1. Project Learning

My project learning with my group mates in the later part of the module was insightful as well. I had to learn and relearn many things when working with my peers on the technical report and project. At first, it took me a while to adjust to working with an unfamiliar group of people. I was nervous as I was the only female in the group. However, as time passed, I was relieved to say that my group mates were a lovely group of people to work with. One thing I learned during my project work was to have an open mind to other people’s views and opinions. I was always too fixated on my own ideas that I would disregard my groupmates when they share. This time around, with learning how to communicate effectively, I would take the time to listen and see it from others' points of view. Another aspect that I had to relearn during my group work was learning how to research my materials properly. Before this module, I would have referred to unreliable websites, but since I had to work on an Engineering topic, I was pushed to get my research from google scholar and published papers. From there, I could cite my materials properly and strictly follow the APA style. It was a tedious thing for me at first, but I got the hang of it by the end of this module.

Overall, I am sure to say that I will bring the things I learned in this module with me in the future. Even though there are many difficulties in my path and I find it difficult to see the finish in sight, I have faith that the process will work out and everything will come together without a hitch.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Formal letter: Self Introduction

The importance of communication skills for engineers